Spontaneous Combustion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle

5 posters

Go down

CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle Empty CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle

Post by Biapalha Tue 09 Sep 2008, 11:05 pm

This time you have TWO whole weeks to write Rolling Eyes ...
An award will be given to the best idea on how to use the new forage puzzle for an F&F event: a crate of herbs.

Your entry will be given points for creativity, accuracy and for being explicitly stated. It must also be an event in which people might want to participate, though the amount of real people that appear when your event takes place will NOT affect your points (the award will have been given by then anyhow).

You may stress the fun part or the raising funds side, or balance both.

You must include: duration of the event, place, how many people needed to organize it and the prizes. You are also expected to roughly calculate - or estimate - how much money the event might raise.

This contest came up after reading anamii's postcard in the WRITE US A POSTCARD event.

Everyone in the flag may enter this contest, except Wickedwench and I.
Royals will take turns being jurors, so they can also participate in events.

flower
Biapalha
Biapalha
Queen

Number of posts : 135
Crew : The Sage Coastguard
Home Isle : Scrimshaw
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle Empty Re: CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle

Post by Anamii Wed 10 Sep 2008, 9:26 pm

I'm hoping i can reuse my idea, if not i'll try to change it. Or just make it more explicit.

A Crate Of Herbs.

Equipment.

Boats
Pirates

Number of Pirates

This depends on the number of people who sign up. If quite a lot of people sign up, i think it would be fun to do it in teams proportional in size to the amount of people who sign up. For example if 20 people sign up then maybe teams of 4 or 5. But if only 10 signed up you could have 2's or individual.
The idea of having teams would be fun because it would build on preexisting teamwork skills. And could also help tp build inter crew relationships.

Method

Depending on if teams are used or not. Pirates would all start on the same island, they would then have a set amount of time to forage. Judging from my experience, each game takes an average of 3 minutes and the most games you'll probably need to play is about 10. So you could get away with having half an hour forage time. Then the teams will race to a set end island.

Right, what have i left out.

Estimated Profit

Bassed on the flag's size wow 106, when did it get that big, i would guestimate that maybe just less than half would want to participate so i'd say around 40. So clearly we don't have enough boats for every one to do this individually. And also another problem we may encounter is, what sized ship to use, if we set a ship size or allow any. The problem with using sloops is they tend to fill up too quickly.
But i am supposed to be estimating profits and will come back to the analysis later.
Right so say 40 people enter. Now we could go down the route of charging an entry fee. I'm not sure how much you'd be wanting to charge people for entry fee, so i'm going to substitute to the letter N.

Now.
Assuming we have 40 people, each paying N, we have a total profit of 40N so far.
To bring the profit level up higher, you could take a percentage of the total fruit foraged by every one. So that's P%.

Now i think i need to explain my pooling fruits idea.
Right so all the teams are at the finish island. Either each team can send their fruit to a larger boat or they can sell fruit and send the poe. Either way it will end up on a boat with the judges on. The amount of fruit/poe is recorded by the judges, the P% is taken out of the total, and then each team will recieve an amount of poe proportional to the amount they foraged. So the winners would get the most poe.

Using my equation we can work out that the total profit would be
(P% of total poe)+(40N)
If we substitute these for numbers, now i am guessing here so this isn't realistic.
(30% of 10,000)+(40*20)
3,000+800
wow that doesn't seem a lot. Ok maybe you could increase the P% or the entry or whatever. Bare in mind those were the first numbers that came to mind.

Which brings me to
Prizes
Now, as well as the poe you recieve from the foraging, which you would get from foraging anyway, it would be a good idea to have another incentive.
Because it is a foraging event, the prizes should be fruit themed, or herb.
The winner would be the people who foraged the most fruit.

Analysis
Drawing on the point i made above about the winner people the people who foraged the most, this could be flawed as they could only have foraged the less valuable fruits, where as another team could have foraged less but had a higher worth. Or, looking at a point i made earlier but has now been removed, the winner could be the team who arived at the finish island first.

So now there are two ways of judging the winner, the ones who bring in the most poe, or the ones who forage the most.
Another point that needs making is boat size. To make the event as fair as possible there needs to be a set boat size.

Having read Chipp's post, i see he's stolen my idea Razz But in his all participants start at an island of their choice. I feel that to make this event fair, all participants should start at the same island to give each a fair chance of winning.
If all were to start at diff islands, some would have the advantage of being closer to the finish island.

I think i have made every point i needed to. Sorry it's so long but i need to get into the habbit of writing essays.

Last edited by Anamii on Fri 12 Sep 2008, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anamii
Anamii
Forum Post Gremlin

Number of posts : 852
Crew : Whisked
Home Isle : Admiral
Registration date : 2008-08-11

http://www.freewebs.com/suicidal-spoons

Back to top Go down

CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle Empty Re: CONTEST based on new foraging puzzle

Post by Chipps Thu 11 Sep 2008, 2:50 am

A Crate of Herbs by the infamous Chipps

Participation: Similar to Anamii's idea, but with a twist. Anyone can join (including non-flaggies) and ship size is limited to MB. You can start on whatever island you want, but you have to finish up on Admiral. The total thing would last an hour and a half (In case you get into a battle).

Rulez: Starting on whatever island you want, probably an uninhabited, a judge will come on your ship. When that contest starts, the judge makes sure there is nothing but rum in the hold. Periodically, (probably about every 15 minutes) a royal will anounce the time left. No buying of products is allowed, and you get points based on the diversity of the products you end up with in Admiral. Example: If you have mangos (which are from the complete opposite side of the map) you may get something like 100 points. But, if you manage to pillage something like Thorandite which is extemely rare, you may get something rediculous like 3000 points. Basically what I'm trying to say is the more diverse the things that you transfer to the SC ship at the end, the more points you get. The points would be preset to be fair. When you port, an alt will come on the ship and review your ship's log to make sure you didn't buy anything.

Prizes:
Obviously prizes would be based on points and points based on a logical system of how much things are worth. Therefore it is reasonable that many people could get small prizes, just by participating and doing fairly well. Obviously the first place would have a pretty good prize to lure them in, and we can decide what these will be later.

Things that would be decided prior to the event:
-How much all products are worth.
-Who would be judging.
-How many pirates allowed per ship (I'm assuming that we would have small teams (4-5 people) because the MB is a hard ship to solo, but they would have to share the prize.
-Entry fee or not.
-Prizes
Chipps
Chipps
Forum Post King

Number of posts : 910

Back to top Go down

Post by Biapalha Fri 12 Sep 2008, 3:50 am

The prize for THIS contest will be a crate of elderberries jocolor .

There will be a slated crate for 2nd place Laughing.

KAIT Like a Star @ heaven and I will be the jury in the forage cherry event that will take place after the best idea is chosen here.

flower
Biapalha
Biapalha
Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Biapalha Mon 29 Sep 2008, 9:33 pm

Anamii won the elderberries crate cheers .

Chipps
came second, but the 2 entries were quite close, so he won 2 bar segments and a broken barrel Very Happy instead of a consolation plain crate.
Biapalha
Biapalha
Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamii Tue 30 Sep 2008, 1:48 pm

YAY!
Anamii
Anamii
Forum Post Gremlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chipps Wed 01 Oct 2008, 1:42 am

YAY! Razz
Chipps
Chipps
Forum Post King

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamii Wed 01 Oct 2008, 6:12 pm

YAY!
Anamii
Anamii
Forum Post Gremlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chipps Thu 02 Oct 2008, 2:03 am

More yay than you!
Chipps
Chipps
Forum Post King

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamii Thu 02 Oct 2008, 3:10 pm

Even more YAY than you!!!
Anamii
Anamii
Forum Post Gremlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Krynda Thu 02 Oct 2008, 5:05 pm

/me bangs both your heads together
Krynda
Krynda
Princess

Number of posts : 561

http://theflag.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Wickedwench Thu 02 Oct 2008, 5:46 pm

ROFL!!
Wickedwench
Wickedwench
Queen

Number of posts : 202
Crew : Crimson Assurance

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamii Thu 02 Oct 2008, 7:59 pm

Even more YAY than you plus 7 + or - 2!
Anamii
Anamii
Forum Post Gremlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biapalha Thu 02 Oct 2008, 10:29 pm

Chipps and Anamii:

You have been assigned the noble task of getting together alien and making the forage idea perfect.

I should remind you that anything you decide must take into account the fact that it is not always good to sell the fruit cherry immediately, we have to wait till it reaches a good price bom . Good luck and get us a perfect event!

PLEASE do not spend time arguing or we'll never have the job done.
Biapalha
Biapalha
Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Chipps Fri 03 Oct 2008, 12:33 am

I like my idea better, but we'll see if we can work something out.
Chipps
Chipps
Forum Post King

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamii Fri 03 Oct 2008, 11:02 am

Wow, reading over my above entry, i don't remember writing half of that.
Anamii
Anamii
Forum Post Gremlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chipps Sat 04 Oct 2008, 2:23 am

Somebody probably edited it. I don't think I've ever seen you on when can you meet?
Chipps
Chipps
Forum Post King

Back to top Go down

Post by Krynda Sat 04 Oct 2008, 4:09 pm

I can confirm there has been no editing's and you did indeed post all that
Krynda
Krynda
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Krynda Sat 04 Oct 2008, 4:10 pm

on a random note, has anyone seen the design the intent post? or did it get lost in the forums breaking last week?
Krynda
Krynda
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Biapalha Sat 04 Oct 2008, 8:40 pm

I haven't and I don't even know what you are talking about, sorry!
Biapalha
Biapalha
Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Chipps Sat 04 Oct 2008, 8:44 pm

I think it 'sploded.
EDIT: no it's there it's just teal.
Chipps
Chipps
Forum Post King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down